recent tracks:

3.20.2006

Part I: Spring Break

Alex and Marc have been here, and we spent last week tearing up southern New England. Actually, we watched some movies, played some N64, and wandered around Boston and some other areas. Marc gradually returned to dominant form in Goldeneye, stomping the rest of us in grand style last night even with all the handicap options the game provides. Alex seemed to prefer Zelda, questing away as we all went about our business. We all went out to see V for Vendetta (see Part III for commentary), and hit up Capote again as well. Yesterday Marc, Summer, and I ran a 5k in Somerville, MA, along with 2197 other people. The numbers provided for a slow day; over a minute of the race had already elapsed by the time we hit the starting line, and Marc and I spent the next 10 minutes or so weaving to dense traffic to make our way into the top 500 people. Unfortunately, even over the rest of the race, the roads were thick with the slow, and we both turned in disappointing times as a result. I'm now getting geared up for another race in April, which will hopefully be a smaller-scale event. After the race, efforts to meet up with Taylor and/or Mike failed, and we were all quite cold, so we hopped the T to Harvard Square to escape the crowds. A lunch of Chinese food and a couple blocks later, we were safely nestled in art theater seats watching Capote, as mentioned above. I think I can speak collectively in saying that our impression of Harvard was one of snootiness, though the area itself was quite lovely. Personally, I also spent a bit of time respectfully considering the wealth of classical scholarship that has poured forth from those brick walls over the years. Anyway, we then returned to the bus station, where we had parked, in order to see Alex off on his journey back to Skidmore--and what a long journey it would turn out to be. I don't even know that he's back yet--when I last talked with him around 10:30 last night, we was just leaving the spot on the interstate where the first bus had broken down. I waited two hours for any further word before sleep overtook me. It appears, however, that Alex's luck is limited to some set of random attributes including having a body that doesn't break and consistently receiving good cards. On a completely unrelated note, it is also worth mentioning that on Saturday we all went to Purgatory Chasm, climbed around on big rocks, and in our woods-wandering stumbled across a neat little nook featuring waterfalls and a weird grotto. That made for some good times. Now it's back to the grind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home