recent tracks:

9.01.2009

Unemployment

Yesterday was day one, a day of action! I dusted, cleaned the floors and did the laundry, I worked on some job applications, I began working on a budget, and (most successfully) prepared a southern dinner of smoked catfish, collard greens, and jalapeno cornbread. My first experimentation with the smoker turned out wonderfully, the catfish imparted with plenty of flavor from its 5 hour brine (in a mixture of water, salt, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic) and 4.5 hours of low-heat applewood smoking. The catfish remained tender and flaky. I simmered the collards in the leftover brine, and they turned out to be delicious as well. The cornbread, I'm sad to say, was a bit dense and dry.

Today is day two, a day of beginnings. I have accomplished smaller cleaning projects, and I finished a draft budget, but the only job application I've been able to submit was one I finished yesterday. I'm hoping that tomorrow I am in a writing mood, because I have to complete several cover letters, some thank you notes, and some other projects which are currently in various stages of germination. What I have only begun today, I hope to finish tomorrow (along with some other household projects).

Incidentally, we have an axolotl, as my previous post perhaps implied. She (?) remains nameless as of yet. Any suggestions?

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So good to hear from you again - although I realize the reason that you have time for doing this is not to be welcomed. Sounds like you are keeping "busy" and productive, a natural way for you to be, I know.
I have no thoughts for the name of your new "pet". I have problems with pets who are not "responsive" at an acceptable level to me. I also like people names for pets...as I write this I think Brenda would do...if it turns out to be a he you just add an n.
Have you thought more about SIC? I know everything hangs on "if" and the job situation.
So, I have just finished making tomato sauce from my thoroughly unsatisfactory tomatoes. Next year I will know better and plant things that turn out to be round and firm and red. I have had to fight a constant battle with infestations of worms or bugs or whatever. That turns me off entirely. The few little bits I have managed to salvage have been delicious, mere amuse buche...or however it is spelled.
Love, N

11:36 AM, September 02, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home