recent tracks:

4.22.2008

Pro Cras Teneo

WARNING: The following is pretty much nothing but utterly self-involved introspection.

I am too scatterbrained at the moment to do anything useful, it would seem, so I have turned to digitizing the contents of my meandering mind.

One class period remains between now and the onset of exams; one paper and three exams remain between this evening and my graduation. Some 3 months remain between now and the bar exam; some 3½ - 4 months remain between now and full-time, paid employment.

Unlike June 2005, now I am eager to move on from my current institution; like June 2005, now I am eager to move on to what may follow.

My first true departure from academic life, however, has me anxious: I have the opportunity now to consider what I most want to do and seek a means to do it. For the next year or so I can really sort out my professional priorities and pursue whatever position or positions I find most appetizing. That said, my priorities are as yet unclear--the issues I find most piquant are child welfare, education, and environment; issues that fascinate me but appear overly academic include proliferating a potent and legitimate regime of international law and building up the concept of human rights by means both domestic and international. I would dearly love, I think, to procure a Ph.D. at some point nowhere near the present, and to teach at a college like the one I attended. In the interim, however, I am fully committed to more hands-on work, and must decide what I most want that work to be. Thankfully, I am certain that prospective employers will help to limit my options.

* * *


Here is my review of In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto by Michael Pollan.

* * *


Finally, earlier today I went down to the edge of campus and sat under a tree, looking over Mt. Hope Bay. I took in a little sun, ate my lunch, and read a Wendell Berry essay. There is quite a bit to love about Rhode Island, especially on a sunny, 65 degree day.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Life goes by so quickly these days as we adjust to our new abode. It is a quite different life style but one much to our liking...even the early dinner hour...and the blander food. It makes for a better night's sleep! Those days of gigantic Caesar salads need to be a thing of the past. We thoroughly enjoyed one last night (while out for dinner with PP's college roommate) - for awhile. This morning I am still ruing the fact that I ate the whole thing. Read your book review and that is what prompted this comment.
You spoke about working on a Phd in the future. I am sure you don't want to wait as long as a new acquaintance of our's. She lives here and has been working on her's for several years now...figures she is about half way there. That is optimism for you. She promised herself that she would do that when she graduated from Smith in 1960.
There are lots of interesting folks here and we enjoy meeting and having dinner with them. Our "whirl" of being asked to have dinner with folks has slowed down, we have only one more date on the calendar. Tonight I elected to cook "in" so today's chore is to get to work in the dining room so that we can enjoy sitting in there, not surrounded by piles of boxes and clutter of objects not stowed away. There will still be stacks of unhung pictures about - that is the chore I am not looking forward to - all those decisions about where they will go. By the way,do you need any lamps? I am sure that we will have one. I know your folks are interested as well.
I should have put this in an email; however, once I get started I don't know when to stop! xo n

9:57 AM, April 26, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home