recent tracks:

3.24.2008

Raisin Videos

S and I watched this short video about making raisins not long ago. The fact that I find myself thinking about it this morning seems to indicate that it is sufficiently interesting for me to share with you. More raisin videos here.

ALSO
Sarah arrived Saturday; yesterday we went to the zoo. We saw the elephants up close in the barn. I found them completely captivating; I could have watched only them all day I think. They made me rather sad.

Later we went to Colt and took statuesque pictures.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so happy that you have "discovered" elephants. My Mother loved them, as do I. Some time after she died I learned about The Elephant Sanctuary in Hoenwald, TN. Think I spelled the town wrong. Anyway they have the most wonderful website now and I often go to it. I have learned so much about them and the most important thing is that they are not meant for circuses and zoos. They are wonderful creatures and they do have long memories. Some time, when you have a minute (ha ha), go look at the site and see what wonderful work those folks do for these magnificent animals. My favorite is Dulary, who arrived last year from the Philadelphia Zoo when they decided to shut down their program because their space was too small. I will miss seeing them but know that their lives are much happier away from confinement and, in some cases, with out a herd to relate with. You might also enjoy the book "Water for Elephants". We did it in our book group last fall. Fiction, but a good read and a window into the treatment that elephants received for so many years. Now, I hope that this one makes the post and doesn't disapper into wherever those things go. LOL N

8:06 AM, March 25, 2008  
Blogger moi said...

I could watch Orcas all day, but when we saw them at Sea World in Orlando years ago I felt a great sadness emanating from these magnificent beings. I think that they, like Elephants, possess an intelligence close or equal to that of humans (and souls as well... another controversy)... However lacking hands and living in an environment alien to that of humans that their intelligence is "different" than ours, and not measurable by human methods . I think that the Orcas that we saw possessed an intelligence and an empathy... an emotional projection that I could sense. They were magnificent to watch, but I felt an intense sadness emanating from them (anthropomorphism perhaps). I think they longed to be somewhere else.
Elephants are amazing. They live almost as long as humans. They live in matriarchal societies and they grieve for their dead and know the remains of past relatives when they come across them. I can't remember where I read all of this, but it's out there. These views may be controversial, but these behaviors have been observed.

Food for thought.

Love,
yer daddy

8:30 PM, March 25, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home