9.19.2006
Stuff that is happening but perhaps on the backburner
We won 3-1...hurray! So much fun.
I was called on in the most recent session of every class but Torture. I suppose I volunteered in International Law, but nevertheless the profs are keeping me busy.
It appears I might not be able to take a tack I had been considering in my law review piece. The US has not joined any treaties implying the slightest bit of antidiscrimination when it comes to the glbt crowd, as far as I can tell. Had this been the case, I found an interesting article on the necessity of using treaties to interpret state constitutions which might have added some persuasion to the argument that the recent case of Citizens for Equal Protection v. Bruning was incorrectly decided, although (to be fair) I doubt the article in question is considered even so much as persuasive authority to most state supreme court justices. I am therefore still planning to argue that there is no rational basis for any same-sex marriage ban, and I intend to rely primarily on the supposed basis the courts most frequently appear to respect--"steering procreation into marriage." I've been reading up on rational basis analysis of equal protection claims, and I think what I'll have to do is (1) explain why I believe rational basis scrutiny would best serve the cause, (2) slice and dice any proposed rational bases for a same-sex marriage ban (luckily I have a delightful article which claims to set forth, nay, restore rationality (no doubt hijacked by those pesky liberals, or maybe even activist judges!) in the same-sex marriage debate), (3) bring adoption and child-rearing by same-sex couples into the mix, ideally to back up my logical conclusions, recalling that they are primarily based on the idea that a man and a woman are the ideal household for a child. Soon it will be time to put a pause on my reading and draft my mathematics.
I need to get in touch with some affordable housing people/organizations before Friday. Still feeling the road for potholes despite many assurances that it's smooth sailing. Meeting tomorrow, meeting Friday.
Got a new student starting next week for some math. Should be good times.
Now I'm going to make some tea and set to my Evidence homework. Then perhaps tax. Or sleep.
I was called on in the most recent session of every class but Torture. I suppose I volunteered in International Law, but nevertheless the profs are keeping me busy.
It appears I might not be able to take a tack I had been considering in my law review piece. The US has not joined any treaties implying the slightest bit of antidiscrimination when it comes to the glbt crowd, as far as I can tell. Had this been the case, I found an interesting article on the necessity of using treaties to interpret state constitutions which might have added some persuasion to the argument that the recent case of Citizens for Equal Protection v. Bruning was incorrectly decided, although (to be fair) I doubt the article in question is considered even so much as persuasive authority to most state supreme court justices. I am therefore still planning to argue that there is no rational basis for any same-sex marriage ban, and I intend to rely primarily on the supposed basis the courts most frequently appear to respect--"steering procreation into marriage." I've been reading up on rational basis analysis of equal protection claims, and I think what I'll have to do is (1) explain why I believe rational basis scrutiny would best serve the cause, (2) slice and dice any proposed rational bases for a same-sex marriage ban (luckily I have a delightful article which claims to set forth, nay, restore rationality (no doubt hijacked by those pesky liberals, or maybe even activist judges!) in the same-sex marriage debate), (3) bring adoption and child-rearing by same-sex couples into the mix, ideally to back up my logical conclusions, recalling that they are primarily based on the idea that a man and a woman are the ideal household for a child. Soon it will be time to put a pause on my reading and draft my mathematics.
I need to get in touch with some affordable housing people/organizations before Friday. Still feeling the road for potholes despite many assurances that it's smooth sailing. Meeting tomorrow, meeting Friday.
Got a new student starting next week for some math. Should be good times.
Now I'm going to make some tea and set to my Evidence homework. Then perhaps tax. Or sleep.

1 Comments:
Watch out for those activist judges who legislate from the bench and who make the law, rather than applying it!
Post a Comment
<< Home