recent tracks:

2.10.2006

More News

Media:
Capote ****
The ACLU vs. America:
 Academic rating - [no stars]
 Entertainment rating - **
 Note: did you know the gays are behind judicial interest in international law? It has nothing to do with (a) the fact that people in other countries are capable of reason and insight, and occasionally their reasoning might even be applicable to our own laws(!), or (b) the fact that a fairly strong case can be made that "cruel and unusual punishment" is meant to be judged against international standards (and has been since the drafting of the Constitution)! Of course not...it's just those pesky gays, trying to ruin morality and religion once again!
Same-Sex "Marriage"
The battle for same-sex "marriage" does concern you

Situation
God ordained marriage to be between one man and one woman. Unfortunately, some groups are now attempting to replace marriage with “anything goes” arrangements. This disregard for marriage and its true purpose threatens to destroy this institution, to the detriment of future generations.

Context
There is no more critical battle for our nation’s future. [Emphasis added.] The fight is fierce, and will become even more heated before it's over. ADF has been successful in defending marriage from these attacks in over a dozen states and will continue to be on the forefront to ensure that our children and grandchildren will grow up in a society that affirms marriage between one man and one woman.
- Alliance Defense Fund

 To be fair, there was one single chapter in which the authors did not cite gays as the root of the problem: The ACLU vs. Christmas. In that chapter, however, the authors note after a two page list of abridgements of religious liberties that nothing they had written thus far actually has actually sponsored by the ACLU. It was all based on school officials' misunderstandings of church-state doctrine. Good job, Sears and Osten, good job.

School:
I've been called on in three classes in the last week. Three! I think I've done alright. I have a midterm in two weeks and a twenty page paper in two and a half. Guess I'll be working pretty hard pretty soon.

Contracts was cancelled today so I'll be going home imminently!

Life:
is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends. I'll be taking on another tutoring student imminently, to add to my workload--he lives rather close to school, this time, though, so it should be well worth the time. $435 later, the car has been fixed. Friend Nina, a self-described motorhead, assures me that for the work they did that price is reasonable. I think I will soon be signing up for this 5k; it seems like it'll be a fun experience. I'm pretty much back up to speed with the running stuff, and showing it. I bought new pants yesterday because I've undergrown so much of my clothing; I have a big bag to give away. Still not sure about wedding info. Soon I'll be 23! That seems an arbitrary age. SEA is living the high life with the neuroscience interviewees this weekend; last night I spent my time alone finding cds to sell to spun.com; tonight I will be going to see a civil libertarian film while SEA does her thing; perhaps later we will go to see an Italian film at Brown. Then of course this weekend will involve reading, writing, and studying. I've been maintaining outlines this semester, which will hopefully make the studying process go more smoothly. I've begun reading Truth, Torture, and the American Way by Jennifer Harbury, which is not unlikely to prevent me from any political posting for some time. Don't worry, after this one's over I think I'll take a break for some fiction.

Ok time for lunch and back to the apartment. Cheers.

3 Comments:

Blogger Andy said...

Someone in the house has a birthday on February 19. I had some inkling that something else should be commemorated on that day, but I couldn't remember what. My dad's birthday would come to mind, but that's November 19. Now I remember.

11:10 PM, February 10, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was recently invited to join the UW Lawyers group on the Washington facebook, perhaps because the organizer was simply inviting everyone who had something judicial listed as an interest, and I had "the Supreme Court." Even though I was unqualified for the group, since I have not spent and don't plan to spend 3 years at our law school, I joined anyway, and was pleased to see a link to a fake Budweiser commercial celebrating "the 3L gunner," a real man (or woman) of genius:

http://www.student.virginia.edu/~libel/movies/3L_Gunner.mov

Enjoy, next time you're working on your outlines. :)

1:05 PM, February 12, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm, it looks like the URL may have been cut off, so I inserted a return after ".edu/".

http://www.student.virginia.edu/
~libel/movies/3L_Gunner.mov

1:06 PM, February 12, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home