12.01.2005
Of All the Crazy Things
Today I found myself missing my beautiful couch from Carleton. Missing like a hole in my heart. Totally bizarre.

Of course, the people who sat on it would be nice to have around, too. At least one of them I should be seeing in the next month and 5 days.
And one day we will die
And our ashes will fly from the aeroplane over the sea
But for now we are young
Let us lay in the sun
And count every beautiful thing we can see
...
And when we meet on a cloud
I'll be laughing out loud
I'll be laughing with everyone I see
Can't believe how strange it is to be anything at all
That was Neutral Milk Hotel. I am thinking of making a fourth mix cd to go along with the first 3 so don't be sad if you don't have them yet which is everyone but Anna (and Anna if this ever comes to fruition I'll send you one, too). I need to get my act together, man.
Remember a zillion years ago when I told you I'd tell you my top however many concerts? Well here they are:
10: Beulah 040613 Minneapolis, MN
This spot could have gone to any number of shows, but my longstanding obsession with Beulah, which returns to me whenever I hear "Emma Blowgun's Last Stand," gives the spot to Beulah over Wesley Willis and Hootie and the Blowfish, among others. Beulah died shortly after this show, and I mourned.
9: Radiohead 030813 Mansfield, MA
The concert was spectacular but it was really the experience--Dan and I driving from the Jersey shore to Boston overnight and staying with Sarah Wylie--that gets this one on the list.
8: Festival Dancing in Your Head 050424 Minneapolis, MN
So much good music, along with some strange music, obsessions blossoming (see Dosh, specifically "Steve the Cat"), and most excellent company, 2/3 of which may be viewed in the photo above.
7: Dick Dale 050513 Minneapolis, MN
Oh man Dick Dale brought the Cabooze down on its knees with his guitar (and trumpet, and drum) wizardry. The best part was how he worked the crowd of bemulleted drunks though!
6: Trail of Dead w/Iqu 041030 Minneapolis, MN
There were two guys dressed up for Halloween, I was happily introduced to Iqu, Trail of Dead rocked my socks off, and Andy and I got to stand behind the railing. All was well.
5: Dismemberment Plan 030726 Philadelphia, PA
Another farewell tour. D-Plan played an all-request show, were even more amazing than the first time I saw them, and Dan, Heather, and I got to see a band of incredibly gifted musicians at their peak just before they went their separate ways.
4: Pixies 041112 Minneapolis, MN
No wonder the Pixies were instrumental in spawning alternative rock. If I were capable of playing an instrument to save my life, this show would have convinced me to pick up a guitar and join the revolution! Yeah I know the revolution has come and gone but still. Not to mention there was some novelty in seeing a show with Ollie, Rag-P, and the latter's girlfriend whose name I can't recall.
3: Sonic Youth w/Wilco 030628 Philadelphia, PA
Beautiful summer evening, Wilco rocked as usual, and Sonic Youth were as tight as any band I've ever heard. Did I mention I went with my dad? How many of you can claim that? Maybe you should try it; it made for a fantastic night for me.
2: Foo Fighters 021018 Minneapolis, MN
Now this show almost literally rocked me off my feet. Foo Fighters were beyond a small-venue band at this point, but I got tickets to a "secret" show at legendary First Ave in Minneapolis and let myself get eaten up by the crowd as I moshed and went crazy and almost fainted and had a rowdy good time. By the way I was obsessed with Foo Fighters for like 8000000 years and the first time I saw them they weren't great. But this night? Out of this world.
1: Decemberists 051008 Providence, RI
You heard about it recently enough, but I need to reiterate that if the Decemberists are playing near you, regardless of your propensity for going out on the town or musical persuasions, you should go see them.
Why all this looking back? Maybe it has to do with reading Blue Highways by William Least Heat Moon, a recent bestowal from my father. It has captivated me into further not reading The Brothers Karamozov, which I enjoy whenever I remember it's in the drawer next to my bed.
Finally, I've been having a hankerin' for some creative writing. I haven't really done any, though. Any ideas where to start after a 4+ year abandonment?
Of course, the people who sat on it would be nice to have around, too. At least one of them I should be seeing in the next month and 5 days.
And one day we will die
And our ashes will fly from the aeroplane over the sea
But for now we are young
Let us lay in the sun
And count every beautiful thing we can see
...
And when we meet on a cloud
I'll be laughing out loud
I'll be laughing with everyone I see
Can't believe how strange it is to be anything at all
That was Neutral Milk Hotel. I am thinking of making a fourth mix cd to go along with the first 3 so don't be sad if you don't have them yet which is everyone but Anna (and Anna if this ever comes to fruition I'll send you one, too). I need to get my act together, man.
Remember a zillion years ago when I told you I'd tell you my top however many concerts? Well here they are:
10: Beulah 040613 Minneapolis, MN
This spot could have gone to any number of shows, but my longstanding obsession with Beulah, which returns to me whenever I hear "Emma Blowgun's Last Stand," gives the spot to Beulah over Wesley Willis and Hootie and the Blowfish, among others. Beulah died shortly after this show, and I mourned.
9: Radiohead 030813 Mansfield, MA
The concert was spectacular but it was really the experience--Dan and I driving from the Jersey shore to Boston overnight and staying with Sarah Wylie--that gets this one on the list.
8: Festival Dancing in Your Head 050424 Minneapolis, MN
So much good music, along with some strange music, obsessions blossoming (see Dosh, specifically "Steve the Cat"), and most excellent company, 2/3 of which may be viewed in the photo above.
7: Dick Dale 050513 Minneapolis, MN
Oh man Dick Dale brought the Cabooze down on its knees with his guitar (and trumpet, and drum) wizardry. The best part was how he worked the crowd of bemulleted drunks though!
6: Trail of Dead w/Iqu 041030 Minneapolis, MN
There were two guys dressed up for Halloween, I was happily introduced to Iqu, Trail of Dead rocked my socks off, and Andy and I got to stand behind the railing. All was well.
5: Dismemberment Plan 030726 Philadelphia, PA
Another farewell tour. D-Plan played an all-request show, were even more amazing than the first time I saw them, and Dan, Heather, and I got to see a band of incredibly gifted musicians at their peak just before they went their separate ways.
4: Pixies 041112 Minneapolis, MN
No wonder the Pixies were instrumental in spawning alternative rock. If I were capable of playing an instrument to save my life, this show would have convinced me to pick up a guitar and join the revolution! Yeah I know the revolution has come and gone but still. Not to mention there was some novelty in seeing a show with Ollie, Rag-P, and the latter's girlfriend whose name I can't recall.
3: Sonic Youth w/Wilco 030628 Philadelphia, PA
Beautiful summer evening, Wilco rocked as usual, and Sonic Youth were as tight as any band I've ever heard. Did I mention I went with my dad? How many of you can claim that? Maybe you should try it; it made for a fantastic night for me.
2: Foo Fighters 021018 Minneapolis, MN
Now this show almost literally rocked me off my feet. Foo Fighters were beyond a small-venue band at this point, but I got tickets to a "secret" show at legendary First Ave in Minneapolis and let myself get eaten up by the crowd as I moshed and went crazy and almost fainted and had a rowdy good time. By the way I was obsessed with Foo Fighters for like 8000000 years and the first time I saw them they weren't great. But this night? Out of this world.
1: Decemberists 051008 Providence, RI
You heard about it recently enough, but I need to reiterate that if the Decemberists are playing near you, regardless of your propensity for going out on the town or musical persuasions, you should go see them.
Why all this looking back? Maybe it has to do with reading Blue Highways by William Least Heat Moon, a recent bestowal from my father. It has captivated me into further not reading The Brothers Karamozov, which I enjoy whenever I remember it's in the drawer next to my bed.
Finally, I've been having a hankerin' for some creative writing. I haven't really done any, though. Any ideas where to start after a 4+ year abandonment?

1 Comments:
Sonic Youth with Wilco probably rates as my number two concert of all times... Great band playing some of my favorite songs on one of the most perfect summer evenings ever... Oh yeah... the company I was keeping had something to do with my great experience too... I'm sure ;8^)
Number three would be Jorma K at Bachus (U of D student center) sometime in the fall of '82 perhaps. There's nothing like seeing one of your rock and roll heroes solo, accoustic and possesed. Two of my concert going companions were on a mission to find a "Sue type girl", one of them kept requesting the song "Genesis" long after Jorma had already played it. Of course my date for the evening (and the rest of my life) was THE "Sue type girl".
Number one would be Throwing Muses at the TLA in Philadelphia May 1995. Kristin and co were sooo amazing. The music was fantastic and we got to meet Kristin after the show. I was a typical awe-struck fanboy until I managed some conversation with Kristin's husband Billy. Susy and Kristin talked about Mom stuff. I met one of my heroes and was more impressed than I thought I would be. I was floating for days...
Ummm... guess who...
Post a Comment
<< Home