11.17.2005
Movie Capsules and News
Jarhead ***½
Not much of a plot, but that's by design. The characters are complex, well-acted, and engage in well-written dialogue. The cinematography is incredible. Overall a well-conceived and carried out look at modern warfare and the toll it can take on the people engaged in it, not to mention an interesting look at the people themselves.
Late Marriage **½
The moral of the story: divorcees are bad. And arranged marriages are weird. If you're interested in the Israeli approach to marriage, this is the movie for you. The movie seemed better than those comments imply until the abrupt and unsatisfying ending.
Sin City **½
Over the top acting, comic-style violence, and a strong sense of style are the defining characteristics. Definitely high on the entertainment value, and probably a good pick for people who like, oh, I don't know, maybe Batman (though not necessarily the goofy Adam West version). My point? The movie is dark, the city is crime-ridden, no one is really good, and the style reflects as much.
Apocalypse Now ***½
I came out of Jarhead saying, "I think I just saw my favorite war movie." Then I watched Apocalypse Now, which kind of transcends the whole war movie genre and becomes an interesting, very character-driven story of futility, both the government's and Marlon Brando's. From the start the film drips with a heavy ennui which gives way only to brief bursts of psychosis, until the two have bled together by the end. Anyway, it's a good movie.
Howl's Moving Castle ***½
Probably would have made a bit more sense if I'd watched a version whose subtitles had been provided by someone more competent than h4x0r6969 or whatever the person's handle was. Even with the subtitles, though, the movie is pretty excellent. If you've seen Spirited Away then you have some idea what you're in for (and if you haven't, do so now). So anyway I don't feel like saying much more, save that it was a good weekend for movies.
I got a good grade on my paper so I am happy. I got a student to tutor in January so I am happy. I got Summer back from DC so I am happy. Summer got a tortoise for her birthday so she is happy. The tortoise also makes the cats happy. Or frustrated. We had a nice birthday celebration last night. Tomorrow will be busy. I have a conference regarding the paper I just got back and what I have to do before I turn it in again, I have an extended Contracts class, I have Legal Career Options Day, I have the RI ACLU dinner, and then Summer has discovered that the Wrens will be playing at Brown, so hopefully I have that, too. The weekend might be busy, too, since Summer has a paper due Tuesday and I might be getting close enough to finals that I'll be able to spur myself into studying for them. If not I'll work on my revised paper, which is due the following Tuesday. My lips are dry, Laveranues and Monroe (the tortoise) are probably hungry, and I am, too. Therefore I shall attend to my business.
Not much of a plot, but that's by design. The characters are complex, well-acted, and engage in well-written dialogue. The cinematography is incredible. Overall a well-conceived and carried out look at modern warfare and the toll it can take on the people engaged in it, not to mention an interesting look at the people themselves.
Late Marriage **½
The moral of the story: divorcees are bad. And arranged marriages are weird. If you're interested in the Israeli approach to marriage, this is the movie for you. The movie seemed better than those comments imply until the abrupt and unsatisfying ending.
Sin City **½
Over the top acting, comic-style violence, and a strong sense of style are the defining characteristics. Definitely high on the entertainment value, and probably a good pick for people who like, oh, I don't know, maybe Batman (though not necessarily the goofy Adam West version). My point? The movie is dark, the city is crime-ridden, no one is really good, and the style reflects as much.
Apocalypse Now ***½
I came out of Jarhead saying, "I think I just saw my favorite war movie." Then I watched Apocalypse Now, which kind of transcends the whole war movie genre and becomes an interesting, very character-driven story of futility, both the government's and Marlon Brando's. From the start the film drips with a heavy ennui which gives way only to brief bursts of psychosis, until the two have bled together by the end. Anyway, it's a good movie.
Howl's Moving Castle ***½
Probably would have made a bit more sense if I'd watched a version whose subtitles had been provided by someone more competent than h4x0r6969 or whatever the person's handle was. Even with the subtitles, though, the movie is pretty excellent. If you've seen Spirited Away then you have some idea what you're in for (and if you haven't, do so now). So anyway I don't feel like saying much more, save that it was a good weekend for movies.
I got a good grade on my paper so I am happy. I got a student to tutor in January so I am happy. I got Summer back from DC so I am happy. Summer got a tortoise for her birthday so she is happy. The tortoise also makes the cats happy. Or frustrated. We had a nice birthday celebration last night. Tomorrow will be busy. I have a conference regarding the paper I just got back and what I have to do before I turn it in again, I have an extended Contracts class, I have Legal Career Options Day, I have the RI ACLU dinner, and then Summer has discovered that the Wrens will be playing at Brown, so hopefully I have that, too. The weekend might be busy, too, since Summer has a paper due Tuesday and I might be getting close enough to finals that I'll be able to spur myself into studying for them. If not I'll work on my revised paper, which is due the following Tuesday. My lips are dry, Laveranues and Monroe (the tortoise) are probably hungry, and I am, too. Therefore I shall attend to my business.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home