10.09.2005
Of Drear and Delight
The drear:
The weather this weekend foiled our outdoor hopes and dreams of picking pumpkins and apples at an orchard somewhere around here. It's been not too cold but alternating between rain and drizzle since Friday afternoon. Fo drizzle.
The Eagles looked downright terrible. Like really, really terrible. Special teams, defense, and offensive line in particular. Was the weather this bad in Philly? Maybe they were depressed.
The delight:
Summer and I made the best of the weekend by celebrating October and bad weather with hot cocoa and a viewing of Halloween courtesy of The Entertainment Book.
We also got a Via Via IV pizza for lunch yesterday and ran into Jon Greene!
We also went to Hong Mea's for dinner, with Summer's entree courtesy of The Entertainment Book.
The Decemberists put on a fantastic show on Saturday night; the whole shebang might even have been as good as the Eagles were bad! Highlights included the encore (a Velvet Underground cover ("I'm Sticking with You") and an impromptu rendition of "Chimbley Sweep" (we could read the setlist from where we stood and the encore was supposed to be "The Mariner's Revenge Song") which somehow segued into "Smoke on the Water" and then back into the end of "Chimbley Sweep," all with much theatricality and showmanship) and "California One," which is among my very favorite songs and is also kind of the bottle that holds my emotions. If I had a zillion dollars and The Decemberists were playing somewhere, and tickets cost a zillion dollars, well, I guess I'd probably try to feed the hungry or put the money toward alternative energy research or something like that, but maybe I'd go to the show and hope Colin Meloy had a better way to heal the world with my zillion dollars.
Anyway, disregarding the drear and delight, today was also fall cleaning, with myriad laundry loads, full apartment vacuuming and other floor cleaning, and probably whatever other superfun cleaning stuff you can imagine. We got Nory her distemper booster. We celebrated Carleton Sunday brunch by making omelets for lunch. And except for the stupid Eagles and the bad weather, things have been going decidedly well.
Now I have some homework to do, I think.
The weather this weekend foiled our outdoor hopes and dreams of picking pumpkins and apples at an orchard somewhere around here. It's been not too cold but alternating between rain and drizzle since Friday afternoon. Fo drizzle.
The Eagles looked downright terrible. Like really, really terrible. Special teams, defense, and offensive line in particular. Was the weather this bad in Philly? Maybe they were depressed.
The delight:
Summer and I made the best of the weekend by celebrating October and bad weather with hot cocoa and a viewing of Halloween courtesy of The Entertainment Book.
We also got a Via Via IV pizza for lunch yesterday and ran into Jon Greene!
We also went to Hong Mea's for dinner, with Summer's entree courtesy of The Entertainment Book.
The Decemberists put on a fantastic show on Saturday night; the whole shebang might even have been as good as the Eagles were bad! Highlights included the encore (a Velvet Underground cover ("I'm Sticking with You") and an impromptu rendition of "Chimbley Sweep" (we could read the setlist from where we stood and the encore was supposed to be "The Mariner's Revenge Song") which somehow segued into "Smoke on the Water" and then back into the end of "Chimbley Sweep," all with much theatricality and showmanship) and "California One," which is among my very favorite songs and is also kind of the bottle that holds my emotions. If I had a zillion dollars and The Decemberists were playing somewhere, and tickets cost a zillion dollars, well, I guess I'd probably try to feed the hungry or put the money toward alternative energy research or something like that, but maybe I'd go to the show and hope Colin Meloy had a better way to heal the world with my zillion dollars.
Anyway, disregarding the drear and delight, today was also fall cleaning, with myriad laundry loads, full apartment vacuuming and other floor cleaning, and probably whatever other superfun cleaning stuff you can imagine. We got Nory her distemper booster. We celebrated Carleton Sunday brunch by making omelets for lunch. And except for the stupid Eagles and the bad weather, things have been going decidedly well.
Now I have some homework to do, I think.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home