recent tracks:

9.07.2005

Of Life and Timelines

Now we have this [timeline] (and this [information]), but also this [conflicting timeline]. Then you read this [declaration of state of emergency, Louisiana Governor's Office], and the previous (anonymous) post [conflicting timeline] is called into question--the declaration of a state of emergency is dated to Friday, while the anonymous post claims that President Bush was still begging the governor to declare Louisiana a state of emergency on Saturday.

So...who knows? The internet is such an incredible vehicle for both information and misinformation. Hopefully the investigation will reveal what went wrong and what will need to be fixed.

Incidentally, I do laud the eventual response--the President calling for aid money and the incredible community response that has Universities accepting displaced students, housing complexes accepting displaced families, shelters accepting displaced pets--the country really does seem to have come together, once they figured out what was going on.

***

Summer and I had a nice Indian dinner this evening with Dave and Faye, Petey's old people. It's good to start getting to know people in town, and they seem like fine people. Plus I even talked to a couple people at school today! Shocking, I know.

Contracts class was painful, as the Professor engaged in delightful Socratic dialogue with two people who didn't understand the basic facts of the assigned case. Legal Methods, though, is always delightful. I did, however, get a lesson in the extent to which I need to modify my writing to fit proper legal writing.

Now I will begin to prepare a paper for next Wednesday, hopefully applying material from that lesson. Wish me luck.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"The federal government does not have the authority to intervene in a state emergency without the request of a governor. President Bush declared an emergency prior to Katrina hitting New Orleans, so the only action needed for federal assistance was for Gov. Blanco to request the specific type of assistance she needed. She failed to send a timely request for specific aid."

http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110007219

7:22 AM, September 08, 2005  
Blogger Max Greene said...

Pursuant to 44 CFR ยง 206.35, I have determined that this incident is of such severity and magnitude that effective response is beyond the capabilities of the State and affected local governments, and that supplementary Federal assistance is necessary to save lives, protect property, public health, and safety, or to lessen or avert the threat of a disaster. I am specifically requesting emergency protective measures, direct Federal Assistance, Individual and Household Program (IHP) assistance, Special Needs Program assistance, and debris removal.

Here

Kathleen Babineaux Blanco
August 27, 2005, before the President declared the state of emergency.

11:07 AM, September 08, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home