5.31.2005
Let me tell you about yesterday
and last night.
Monday, May 30, at 3:30 AM Central time, I began what was to be my last-ever show on KRLX. I took this spot for Mike Gross, a two-time resident of mine, and I transformed his punk show into one dominated by jazz and gentle music. I did some experiments I wouldn't normally try on Fun Time with Laveranues, and the result was mixed--this section:
Gunther Schuller - Transformation [last minute overlap w/ first minute of Fog]
Fog - And Stay Out
Polyphonic Spree - Ensure Your Reservation [fade in over end of Fog]
Grandaddy - Hand Crank Transmitter [crossfade midsong into Fog midsong]
Fog - Cheerupcheerily [crossfade midsong into Iqu]
Iqu - Loving You [fadeout]
Breeders - Wicked Little Town
worked quite well, I think, while the Iron & Wine I played soon after did not transfer very well into Postal Service mid-song. "Steam Engine" was very emotional to me for some reason, but at the end I think I was too tired to feel, and was therefore not as dramatic as I would have liked.
By contrast, the final legitimate installment of Fun Time with Laveranues was perhaps the best show I've been a part of, and a fitting finale. It just seemed to flow really well, and seems an excellent cross-section of several years' worth of shows. During this show I became emotional at the beginning of "Suitcase Calling." Oh fun emotions. Tomorrow morning will be my last time to the kindergarten.
Tomorrow evening will be my last RA banquet, and after that my last faculty bassoon quartet recital. After that I will work on two of the last five writing assignments I will have at Carleton. Phew.
This afternoon, after classes, Mel and Chad brought over newest kitten Jasmine, who was a delight, and slept in my lap. We then all got a pizza and that was good. Also this afternoon I played photographer and had a photoshoot with Summer, and I think some of the results are pretty good. Maybe I'll share some sometime. That led me to go over all my pictures, much as I went over all the papers on my hard drive the other day. I am consolidating things in anticipation of the great departure.
More necessary, though, are times like tonight at the snack bar with Summer and Anna, just enjoying the company of good people. I hope there will be plenty more such moments before it is time to head east again on June 12.
Monday, May 30, at 3:30 AM Central time, I began what was to be my last-ever show on KRLX. I took this spot for Mike Gross, a two-time resident of mine, and I transformed his punk show into one dominated by jazz and gentle music. I did some experiments I wouldn't normally try on Fun Time with Laveranues, and the result was mixed--this section:
Gunther Schuller - Transformation [last minute overlap w/ first minute of Fog]
Fog - And Stay Out
Polyphonic Spree - Ensure Your Reservation [fade in over end of Fog]
Grandaddy - Hand Crank Transmitter [crossfade midsong into Fog midsong]
Fog - Cheerupcheerily [crossfade midsong into Iqu]
Iqu - Loving You [fadeout]
Breeders - Wicked Little Town
worked quite well, I think, while the Iron & Wine I played soon after did not transfer very well into Postal Service mid-song. "Steam Engine" was very emotional to me for some reason, but at the end I think I was too tired to feel, and was therefore not as dramatic as I would have liked.
By contrast, the final legitimate installment of Fun Time with Laveranues was perhaps the best show I've been a part of, and a fitting finale. It just seemed to flow really well, and seems an excellent cross-section of several years' worth of shows. During this show I became emotional at the beginning of "Suitcase Calling." Oh fun emotions. Tomorrow morning will be my last time to the kindergarten.
Tomorrow evening will be my last RA banquet, and after that my last faculty bassoon quartet recital. After that I will work on two of the last five writing assignments I will have at Carleton. Phew.
This afternoon, after classes, Mel and Chad brought over newest kitten Jasmine, who was a delight, and slept in my lap. We then all got a pizza and that was good. Also this afternoon I played photographer and had a photoshoot with Summer, and I think some of the results are pretty good. Maybe I'll share some sometime. That led me to go over all my pictures, much as I went over all the papers on my hard drive the other day. I am consolidating things in anticipation of the great departure.
More necessary, though, are times like tonight at the snack bar with Summer and Anna, just enjoying the company of good people. I hope there will be plenty more such moments before it is time to head east again on June 12.

2 Comments:
Makki, do you have an MP3 or recording of your last show... I'd love to hear it.
Love,
Moi
Sadly none exists, to my knowledge...
Post a Comment
<< Home