5.03.2005
And then it was May
Man oh man. It's been awhile. I guess I always say that, huh.
Since last we spoke, I spent some time embroiled in academic work, and an equally significant amount of time taking care of domestic matters. My room and Laveranues' are clean, and some RA programs are beginning to fall together, including the shocking pinewood derby.
There has been an air of ill health hovering over the past week, though, as Summer and I have been constantly pitting decongestants against our ailments, with varying degrees of success. This did not, however, too negatively affect Saturday's track meet. Tomorrow there is a track meet in which I hope to build on Saturday's numbers. This Friday, however, will likely mark the end of my not-particularly-storied NCAA career.
Back to the weekend, though, Friday night featured (after much deliberation) the film Spanglish, which was fun. Saturday after the track meet and a quick but delicious dining hall steak night dinner, Andy and I headed to Minneapolis to see Of Montreal. To our great surprise, the show was sold out, but we quickly formulated an alternate plan to see The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy in Edina.
Jethro Tull emerging gently from the cassette deck, we made our way through strange little towns, blazing our own trails since the major roads in the area which were completely closed off. After much meandering, we found ourselves at the Southdale mall multiplex. with a Hitchhiker's Guide time only 50 minutes away!
After purchasing tickets, it was time to revel in the closing of the mall proper. Watching the hordes of crazed teens leaving Abercrombie and the dazed adults pondering what to do next, Andy and I enjoyed the gradual lowering of gates over store entrances and the dimming of the lights. Then we examined movie posters until the showing started.
The movie itself was somewhat disappointing. If you're a fan of Douglas Adams, you'll probably want to see the movie for the parts it gets right, even if that means cringing somewhat at the parts it gets wrong. The most successful parts of the movie were drawn straight from the book, and the least successful ones were departures in the direction of poorly executed Hollywood cliche love stories and the like, and away from the self-conscious absurdity of Adams' books. It was still a better film, though, than Dangerous Ground (starring Ice Cube), which I had seen on the busride home from my track meet earlier Saturday.
Sunday I took care of all sorts of minor business, and then was hoping to go on a date with Summer to Northfield hotspot Las Delicias. Unfortunately, as we always seem to forget, Las Delicias is closed on Sundays, so we had a slightly more hurried (but still the delicious) pizza from Basil's before our radio show at 6. And what a radio show it was! Rather low on the calls, but still a clear example of the glory that is independent radio.
After the show we practiced piano then stole away to the Tavern with Neal and Anna because hey, no class Monday. That was pretty much it, though.
So that brings us to today. Before I continue I feel I should give you a piece of information that seems important to me but might not be. The datum in question is that Summer and I have taken to doing crossword puzzles. As a matter of fact, from 9 to 10:15 or so this evening, we did two puzzles. Ok, continue.
Anyway, today. I woke up late and went to lunch. I practiced piano. I took care of a bit more minor business. Lauren came over and we played some cards before track practice. I practiced track. I went to the snack bar with Summer. I went to the townhouse for a delicious Geoff-prepared dinner of steak, cous cous, salad, and a seven layer bar to top it off. I stayed there until almost 8, then went to practice piano some more. I then visited Summer for said crossword-puzzling. Now here I am.
Since last we spoke, I spent some time embroiled in academic work, and an equally significant amount of time taking care of domestic matters. My room and Laveranues' are clean, and some RA programs are beginning to fall together, including the shocking pinewood derby.
There has been an air of ill health hovering over the past week, though, as Summer and I have been constantly pitting decongestants against our ailments, with varying degrees of success. This did not, however, too negatively affect Saturday's track meet. Tomorrow there is a track meet in which I hope to build on Saturday's numbers. This Friday, however, will likely mark the end of my not-particularly-storied NCAA career.
Back to the weekend, though, Friday night featured (after much deliberation) the film Spanglish, which was fun. Saturday after the track meet and a quick but delicious dining hall steak night dinner, Andy and I headed to Minneapolis to see Of Montreal. To our great surprise, the show was sold out, but we quickly formulated an alternate plan to see The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy in Edina.
Jethro Tull emerging gently from the cassette deck, we made our way through strange little towns, blazing our own trails since the major roads in the area which were completely closed off. After much meandering, we found ourselves at the Southdale mall multiplex. with a Hitchhiker's Guide time only 50 minutes away!
After purchasing tickets, it was time to revel in the closing of the mall proper. Watching the hordes of crazed teens leaving Abercrombie and the dazed adults pondering what to do next, Andy and I enjoyed the gradual lowering of gates over store entrances and the dimming of the lights. Then we examined movie posters until the showing started.
The movie itself was somewhat disappointing. If you're a fan of Douglas Adams, you'll probably want to see the movie for the parts it gets right, even if that means cringing somewhat at the parts it gets wrong. The most successful parts of the movie were drawn straight from the book, and the least successful ones were departures in the direction of poorly executed Hollywood cliche love stories and the like, and away from the self-conscious absurdity of Adams' books. It was still a better film, though, than Dangerous Ground (starring Ice Cube), which I had seen on the busride home from my track meet earlier Saturday.
Sunday I took care of all sorts of minor business, and then was hoping to go on a date with Summer to Northfield hotspot Las Delicias. Unfortunately, as we always seem to forget, Las Delicias is closed on Sundays, so we had a slightly more hurried (but still the delicious) pizza from Basil's before our radio show at 6. And what a radio show it was! Rather low on the calls, but still a clear example of the glory that is independent radio.
After the show we practiced piano then stole away to the Tavern with Neal and Anna because hey, no class Monday. That was pretty much it, though.
So that brings us to today. Before I continue I feel I should give you a piece of information that seems important to me but might not be. The datum in question is that Summer and I have taken to doing crossword puzzles. As a matter of fact, from 9 to 10:15 or so this evening, we did two puzzles. Ok, continue.
Anyway, today. I woke up late and went to lunch. I practiced piano. I took care of a bit more minor business. Lauren came over and we played some cards before track practice. I practiced track. I went to the snack bar with Summer. I went to the townhouse for a delicious Geoff-prepared dinner of steak, cous cous, salad, and a seven layer bar to top it off. I stayed there until almost 8, then went to practice piano some more. I then visited Summer for said crossword-puzzling. Now here I am.

1 Comments:
crossword puzzles run in your blood, along with enjoyment of yummy meals and music.
Post a Comment
<< Home